Tuesday 22 May 2018

Sucker Punched

It’s not like I don’t know that Riley requires support.

It’s not like I don’t know that he will require services for the rest of his life.

And yet…

Today as I sat with our “Facilitator/Social Worker/…” (whatever they call them where you are) going over Riley’s needs, I was caught a little off guard. The last “assessment” tool we completed was in 2013. FIVE years ago. Wait...we did do one last year but if things remain the same, they may not update the report on file. 

To say that is was disheartening to hear that his “needs” have not changed in 5 years is an understatement. I mean, I have seen positive changes in Riley. Yet…the every day skills that he will need to cope are still not there.

They probably never will be. 

Don’t get me wrong.  I am not giving up.  I am not even surprised. It’s just another reality check.

She said that it is not unusual for this assessment tool not to change. It assesses the disability and the amount of support an individual requires.  Ok.  I get it.  That made me feel a little better.  As I said, I know Riley needs support.

It also made me realize that my job as a parent will/may never be done. I will forever be a caregiver. And that’s ok. I love my charge! Because…look at THIS FACE!!!



But quite frankly…it can also suck sometimes.


No comments:

Post a Comment