Friday 19 January 2018

A Leap of Faith

I’m hoping to blog more this year. Considering I only blogged 3 times last year, shouldn’t be all that difficult to beat that number.

In just over a week, G, Riley and I are going on a cruise with 3 other couples to celebrate some upcoming 60th birthdays. No…not mine. 😒

This will be Riley World’s third cruise. After our trip home from the last cruise...we did not want to relive the trauma and were able to book direct; non-stop flights both ways. 

A few things about cruising:
  • Did you know they do not like you to cook in your stateroom? 
  • Did you know that if you take any cooking apparatus (ie hot pots) on board they could get confiscated until the end of the trip?
  • Did you know that their screening for said pots is not 100% accurate?  How do I know this?? Two years ago, being the seasoned autism parent, I packed 2 hot pots in 2 separate suitcases. Long story but one made it through, the other did not. If only I could remember which one made it through.  

This time, we are cruising with Royal Caribbean: the first autism friendly cruise line. While we have had nothing but positive experiences in the past, I am curious to see what other types of accommodations there might be since previously, staff/crew have always gone above and beyond. Well…except for the cooking in the stateroom part. Trust me, I understand why you’re not supposed to. Really. I get it. But still…  😉

A couple of months ago as I was researching our ship, I noticed they had a Japanese restaurant on board that served udon. That's right...UDON!  Riley eats udon!!  Riley LOVES udon!!!  I may not be able to cook his noodles in our room but we could go eat his “udon with no seasoning” multiple times a day!!  

Here’s where the Leap of Faith comes in.

After many inquiries and reassurances that the crew will do their best to accommodate R’s ummmmm dietary needs…I have decided *gulp* not to pack a hot pot for the FIRST TIME EVER! *gasp* 

We are going to eat all our meals outside of our stateroom. *starts to feel short of breath* 

We can DO THIS right???  RIGHT????  *begins coping strategies* 

I…I…I’m okay with eating Japanese multiple times a day for 7 days.


Sure am glad we bought the “beverage package”. 


via GIPHY

6 comments:

  1. I never thought to bring a hot plate! Sounds fun and good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's actually an electric pot that you can cook in. Check it out here:

      http://ouradventureswithriley.blogspot.ca/2012/01/travelling-with-or-wo-autism-tips.html


      We've always, ALWAYS travelled with one since R is such a "particular" eater. :P

      Keeping everything crossed. :D

      Delete
  2. Have a wonderful time!! I have always admired your fantastic attitude about trying new things and just dealing with whatever happens, and how much care and thought you put into making sure that Riley is comfortable and enjoys himself. I know how much courage that takes, so... you're amazing and I hope that it's a fantastic and fun adventure for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trust me...it hasn't always been this way. But you get that. I will admit...I am honestly stressing about NOT taking his hot pot. We've NEVER travelled without it. I keep telling myself it's only a week and he/we will survive. Right??? Please tell me right. ;)

      Delete
  3. Can you take the noodle packets with you and ask the kitchen to make them for you if he can't find anything to eat? I would think that'd be a pretty simple request they could do for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish it were that easy....even at home they have to be cooked "just so" or he won't eat them. It's all in the timing. :/

      We will pack Cheerios (plain) and there are always hot dogs (wieners) and grilled cheese now so there are a handful of food items he will eat. Noodles are just a staple for him. I'm sure we can "train" the Japanese restaurant to cook his udon the way he likes it. Hopefully they won't run out. Hahaha!

      Delete