Sunday 21 June 2015

Riley World's 21st Anniversary!!!

Ever since you were little one of your nicknames was Riley-man. Not sure why. It just was. And today you will be 21 years old. You are your nickname.   


I remember when birthdays were not any fun for you. 


And now…you can not wait for your birthday or Christmas or Easter or any other special event. It may have taken you a bit longer but boy oh boy are you ever embracing it now.




I remember when doing any type of group activity was not in the cards. 






I remember when you had to be put under general anaesthesia to get your teeth cleaned. We did that twice. 

And now…you put it on your visual schedule as if it were just another thing to do on any given day and are a rock star in the dentist chair.





I remember when you were a “particular” eater.  And now…oh wait.   Never mind.



I remember when any sign of crust would be the end of the world. 

And now…not only will you just pick off the offending parts but you will eat grilled cheese sandwiches cut into squares OR triangles. BAM!!

Yes I STILL cut off the crusts but if I happen to miss a spot...you will just pick it off.  :D




In your 21 years…


You have taught me that life is not black and white. It is mostly grey. Not an ugly grey. A nice slate grey. 
And now…there are more rainbows then grey.


You have taught me to live one day at a time. Mostly because that’s all I could handle in the early years of Riley World. 
And now…well…ummmm…I’m still living one day at a time because now you’ve entered Riley World: The Adult Years and it’s scary. Very scary.  


You have taught me to have a sense of humour. Because laughing was a whole lot better than ugly crying. 
And now…I can laugh even more because now there are places that sell beer and wine even on Sundays.


But mostly…you have taught me to be patient. Boy have you taught me. Over and over and over again. You have tested my will to live sometimes.  ;)  
And now…21 years later, I think I am a better person because of you. 




Happy 21st Birthday Riley-Man!  
I Love You, Mom




9 comments:

  1. Love, love, LOVE this! Oh, how he's grown. ❤️ Happy birthday Riley!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tammy! He sure has...especially when I look at that picture of him on the floor at his birthday party. Still makes me break out in a sweat. ;)

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness, that face! Those smiles! HAPPY BIRTHDAY, RILEY! You're growing into an impressive young man, and you sure do make your mama proud. Congratulations everyone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed *puffing out my chest*. ;) Thanks Bec!!

      Delete
  3. By the looks of that first photo, I'm guessing birthdays weren't much fun for you, either. Or the cross-legged kids. So glad you've got a sense of humor.
    I tell you what, Riley has one of the best smiles I have ever seen on a person.
    He (and you, and I imagine your whole family) have come such a long way. You can't see me, but I'm giving you a standing ovation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha...you are absolutely right about the first picture!! :D He was like a squirmy octopus! To save face...I let the cross-legged kids open the gift they brought (since R was NOT interested back then). :P

      *blushing at the standing ovation*

      Delete
  4. You must be so proud! I've been swamped but seems you're taking a blogging break. I did that earlier in the year. Not really on purpose but I had no words. Hope you come back soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning. Beautiful. Just awesome. Came here on the occasion of the 23rd...happy birthday to both of you!

    ReplyDelete