Sunday 8 December 2013

A Mixed Bag Kinda Week....
#Ten Things of Thankful

The holiday season has arrived! As I have mentioned before December 1st means ALL things Christmas in Riley World. The outside lights were already up so only needed to be plugged in. Phew! After a mad dash to get the tree and Christmas village setup by December 2nd…things have come to a screeching halt.



My goal this coming week will be to finish decorating or else just close the lids on the bins and be done. Ha! Anyways…here was how the week went:

1.      Fresh air. I sleep with the windows open. Not wide open. A little more than a crack. More like ajar. R likes to fall asleep in our bed than transfers to his bed when we go up. It hasn’t always been this way. For YEARS he slept with us. I will save the saga of this one for another time. Anyways with the colder weather comes the crisp smell of winter in the air. I love that smell! It can be a little chilly at first but I am thankful for my personal bed warmer (R sleeps on my side).

2.      FINALLY after at least 10,758 lives I made it passed level 421 in Candy Crush on Monday. I have been stuck on level 425 ever since.

3.      I got all my out-of-town parcels wrapped, packaged and sent. No small feat for me.   

4.      I have a new best friend. Well…he is not MY best friend but I am pretty sure he thinks of me as HIS best friend. Two words. Root canal. Thankfully we have a dental plan. After spending over 2 hours in his chair thankfully he told me I should not exercise afterwards as it could cause my tooth to start throbbing. This counts as 2 according to Clark’s manual.

5.      See number 4.

6.      Christmas shopping with my mom for my family’s gifts. We were able to knock them off find THE perfect items in under an hour and have lunch to boot. I love it when a plan comes together! 

7.      Friends and the holiday season. Last night we went to a friend’s place for dessert and some holiday cheer. My girlfriend made her famous Christmas martinis. I had forgotten about them. You’re shocked I know. Thankfully I only need to buy eggnog to be able to make them tonight.

8.      Lately I seem to have lost the ability to remember well…anything quite frankly. Thankfully I am not alone. My girlfriend was relating a story and after a brain fart few reflective moments passed came out with “cow meat”. What was even sadder was we all nodded along until the nickel dropped and G piped up with “you mean beef?” As I was writing this I actually remembered this YouTube video that explains our condition perfectly. It is a must watch!!

9.      And last but not least (yes I do realize this is only number 9 but this is going to be a twofer)…I am most thankful that I can blink. I will let this one sink in a bit. *tapping fingers*  At one point in the evening the topic of my blog came up. I was whining how I have a hard time coming up with ten things of thankful each. and. every. week. My friend T (like so many of the TToT crew) said I need to think small and gave me this week’s number 9 list item “blink”. I just may use his theory in weeks to come. Thank you Mr. T!!!  


Have yourselves an awesome week and don't forget to check out some of the other TToT blogs!


Your Hosts:


30 comments:

  1. I CALL FIRST! I hope...

    Nice rulebook deployment this week.

    Blink! Was the title of an absolutelybloodyTERRIFYING episode of Dr Who. And I think I want to hear a little more theory there on your twofer.

    Also this..."...and whoever STOLE my nouns replaced each one of them with ELEVEN ADJECTIVES!!!"

    Absolutely and completely love it. Thank you.

    Also this, from a book I read recently (non-relevant, but I love it) "Without a verb, a sentence is really just a bunch of nouns standing around with their hands in their pockets."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you comment...pretty good odds that you'll be first Lizzi! Haaahaaa!

      Thank you...I thought I snuck in that twofer rather nicely. Perhaps I should write a blog post to expand on that theory??? :P

      That video cracks me up. Glad you enjoyed it too. Baahaahaaa....excellent quote!! :D

      Delete
  2. What is the recipe for the Christmas martini?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will confirm with my girlfriend but I believe the proportions are:
      1 oz. vodka
      1/2 oz. apricot brandy
      2 oz. eggnog

      Pour in a shaker with ice, shake and enjoy!!! Cheers!

      Delete
    2. Youza....apparently I was a little heavy on the eggnog! Whodda thunk it?!?!? ;P

      Christmas Martini

      1½ oz vodka
      ¾ oz Apricot brandy
      1½ oz Egg Nog
      Shake over ice

      Delete
  3. I can not remember anything. If it's important I have to send emails to myself to remind me. I'm hoping it's a "change of life" thing and I will one day remember why I showed up at the gas pump.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haaahaaahaaa...I send myself emails too!!! I am convinced it is a 'change of life' thing and the more time I spend with my mom...the more afraid I get. ;P

      Delete
  4. oh man the martini sounds great! I loved the video and sent to every peri-menopausal woman I know cuz that's the kinda gal I am! Thanks! Have a great week...and Im with ya...sometimes coming up with ten is tough...but for me its a sign that I need to lighten up... which again for me is ALWAYS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've watched that video soooo many times and I still die laughing!!! Boy can I relate and by the sounds of it...so can you. :D

      Delete
  5. I send texts to my email b/c I don't check my email on my phone, only where I am home and can actually do something about it. I'm certain it's not because I'm old and have a mind like a sieve...

    The drinks sounds lovely...unfortunately the only ingredient I have is ice...and since it is Sunday in Indiana, I shall have to wait until tomorrow to purchase the brandy and vodka (I could get the eggnog but probably won't make a special trip out...) :) Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course it's not...you are just practicing your social media skills. ;P

      I didn't get a chance to pick up eggnog today so I'm having to 'settle' for a Bailey's on ice. Definitely on my shopping list tomorrow. :D

      Delete
  6. Somebody took my nouns, too.

    You sleep with the window open EVERY night? I like cool air in my bedroom at night, but the window open EVERY NIGHT? At least you have a handy bed warmer. If that stops working for you, I highly recommend heated mattress pads. They are da bomb.

    I don't even like to say the word "dentist" out loud, so your story of a root canal is a horrifying one. Do you at least get good drugs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's these damn hot flashes...STILL!!!!!! Although the heated mattress pads sound very cozy...not sure I could handle those but I will definitely keep them in mind. Maybe I'd better send myself an email. Haha!

      NO. No drugs! So I had to drown my sorrows in liquid medicine instead. ;P

      Delete
  7. I have to say that drinky sounds amazing. I might have to take that to my in-laws for Christmas! No joke!

    Love the youtube vid! "I looked in the cupboard and all the nouns were gone!" LOL

    You know, I've never played candy crush!? I've been known to be addicted to certain games....so I'm skeert to play it....I am MASTER of plants VS zombies after all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A tasty treat indeed!! Normally I find eggnog a little heavy/rich but the vodka seems to do the trick. :)

      DO NOT TRY IT!!!!! Haahaa! I've been known to be addicted too! You're surprised aren't you. My girlfriend's husband showed me plants vs. zombies but I haven't given it a go yet. Master??? Is that a challenge?!? ;P

      Delete
  8. I have not played candy crush either. I found the video funny too. I will have to rewatch tomorrow though when I can turn the sound up more. Thanks for sharing and nice to meet ya.

    Mary-andering Creatively

    Mary-andering Among the Pages

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you have a tendency to get addicted to video games at all...do NOT try Candy Crush! It is a time-sucking vortex of doom!!! Run away...run away fast!!! :)

      Thanks for stopping by Mary!

      Delete
  9. Ack! I forgot that I read your post on my phone and you couldn't actually hear the things I had to say about your post.
    My word, you live in Canada! It must get freezing cold in your bedroom! We don't leave our windows open in the winter, but there are enough cracks in walls and windows that it seems like we do.
    I don't play Candy Crush, and it is because of comments like this one. Level 425!?!?! Stuck for weeks or months??? No thank you.
    I haven't done any Christmas shopping yet, so there is no need to wrap anything or mail it just yet. :) Good for you, getting so much done!
    The "cow meat" story made me laugh so hard. I do the same blasted thing on a daily basis. It is so ridiculously frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do that too. It takes too long to comment from my phone or else I get frustrated if I'm using R's iPad and then I forget. Think it's a side effect of the noun thing. ;P

      Hahaha...G read your comment about living in Canada and guffawed. I'm thinking it's probably colder where you live. Besides...what's a little frostbite on your nose when you wake up in the morning.

      I think I'm going to remember and keep relating the "cow meat" story for a loooong time. LOL!

      Delete
  10. PS, That video was hysterical! The truth is always the funniest. I would really like my nouns back.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That video is AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's the condition i have!!!!!!!!!! I forget what the hell i'm talking about MID SENTENCE!!! It's so frustrating.. Especially when you're in an important situation like.. a doctors appointment.. ordering your meat at the deli lol!! *smh*
    Blinking is good. Don't ever stop blinking. (unless you want to pull a prank lol)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know!!! Or forgetting what you were doing. This morning I went downstairs to put in some laundry and was going to check on something else. Do you think I could remember!!! I stood there thinking and refusing to do anything until I remembered. Oi-vay. SO damn annoying!!!!!

      Delete
    2. You seem way more organized than I am! I'm still recovering from Thanksgiving and have to decorate the entire inside of the house by Friday. I'm so paralyzed by this idea that I'm just drinking wine instead. I already turned 50 this month, I mean what else do people want from me? Right?

      Delete
    3. Organized???? MOI?!?!?!?! Baaahaaahaaa! I am only doing what I need to do in order to limit the number of times I have to hear "It's December! Are you going to finish the decorations?" from Riley. ;P

      And absolutely...now that you are 50...wine is essential and you need to practice every day if you want to stay in the club. :D

      Delete
  12. I am thankful I came over and spied that drink recipe!!
    I'm hosting my mother in law over Christmas. I wasn't really given a choice.
    are you sure there is not more Vodka? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure about the vodka but the eggnog is optional. ;P You're welcome.

      Delete
  13. OK, I think I can't understand #9 because it has something to do with this Dr. Who thing...and I am the only person on the planet who has never seen it. Or even heard about it until like two weeks ago.

    Anyway.

    Candy Crush level 425??? I'm on 105. Maybe it's because I have this obsession with not moving on until I get three stars on the level? And now I find out there are like three hundred more ahead of me? Wow.

    I also cannot remember words - the noun thing. I do that all the time and come up with ridiculous explanations for the word I can't find and - often to my husband's amusement - they are nowhere near close to the real thing. And then there are all the other fun symptoms...like waking up drenched from sweating only to then need nine blankets to get warm! Ain't life grand?

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You aren't the only person on the planet who as never seen Dr. Who. I haven't either! Number 9...my friend's suggestion to start off small and go from there. Haha!

      As for Candy Crush...I know a lot of people with the same obsession. I am not one of them. :P

      Happy Holidays!!

      Delete
  14. Oh, sorry about the root canal. My husband had one of those recently. But awesome about having the lights up already. Yay!

    ReplyDelete