Monday 29 July 2013

Our First Family Photo Session
#Monday Listicles

It has been a while since I have done a Monday Listicles post or any post for that matter. Summer was suddenly here and my usual writing routine went out the window. I have a strong feeling that things will not be improving in the coming month.  :(

After reading some fellow "Listiclers", I was inspired to dig out some photos and get back into the game for this week’s topic "10 Photos of Life with Kids”. The first thing I noticed…how on earth did we ever survive before digital!!

I came across some old proofs (circa 1997 - Riley was 3) when we first started having family photos taken. Long story short it was a fundraiser in preschool/elementary school where you got a professional sitting and one 8x10 for $10. Of course they knew you would not be able to refrain from buying at least 1 print of every photo right?? Even still…how could I say no?!?!

Weeeell…at the time of our first ever family photo we were at the very beginning stages of Riley World. It was a time when the word autism was only a word. It was a time though when most everything was SOOOO-O-M-G exhausting!

Out of the 20+ photos that were taken our choices were narrowed down ummm naturally for us. Seeing these pictures was another reminder to me of how far Riley has come in the past 15+ years.


We had tears almost before we got started. *sigh*



Ahhh yes...the ol' arch the back pose.



Looks can be deceiving...R was NOT happy...
He had progressed to the maniacal screaming at this point...
YES...I remember.


Let's move to the floor shall we?
At this point I remember telling G & J2 to just keep smiling,
smiling, smiling...just keep smiling (use your Dory voice here)
as I broke out into a sweat trying to keep R seated.


A:  R was active so I had to make an adjustment to a vice new grip.
B:  Shirt fully untucked but we would persevere. 



Thankfully we got one photo where 
the beads of sweat were not visible 
everyone was "smiling".


As luck would have it the photographer was the same year after year. We chose to believe he remembered Riley's name because of his charming qualities.  :)  He did figure out how to get the best shots and 5 years later Riley had it down pat.  

  J1, J2 & Riley (circa 2002)


Be sure to head over to Stasha's to see her amazing Instagram photos (she is a professional if that makes you feel any better) and if you like photos (like me) check out some of the others. Have yourself a great week!

14 comments:

  1. You are a master at keeping your face relaxed and happy looking when other parts of you (like the vice-like hands) are tense and working overtime. This made me giggle, looking at how all of you are smiling at the camera like nothing is happening with Riley. That's incredible that the same guy was there to take your photos each year. Much better photo in 2002!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haaahaaa...I laughed too when I was looking through ALL the proofs. I always said R was the "wild card" so if he looked good we were buying it! :D

      I think out of the almost 10 years we got our pics done it was the same guy. I think it was his company.

      Delete
  2. I love how you added the explanations to the vice grip photo. I too am impressed how you were able to keep your composure for those pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I conveniently left out that I usually needed a shower when we got home. ;P

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Robbie! Glad to see you're back!! :D

      Delete
  4. You are totally due for a new family photo. I must visit you up there soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am amazed at your composure! mine are just brats! haha
    they turn into such silly hams and you can't get a descent pic without someone being cross-eyed, tongue sticking out, bunny ears on someone...or what they call the Butt Shot. which is exactly what you think it is. oye.
    But that last one: priceless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haaahaaa....that Butt Shot could come in handy in the teen years. Just sayin' *nudge, nudge, wink, wink*

      Delete
  6. Thanks for sharing these! Definitely brought back memories for me. I think Nigel exhibited the exact same arch the back pose, complete with maniacal screaming. We even tried having a photographer come to our home, thinking the familiar surroundings would help, but no. *sigh* Thank goodness that didn't last forever, eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Got that right although it's hard to imagine it will EVER pass at the time. Right???

      I am glad we share the same memories?!? :)

      Delete
  7. Love, love, love this! Thanks for sharing the 'grrr" behind the great family photos. Erin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clenching teeth to look like a smile is an art form that I have mastered well wouldn't ya say?!? ;P

      Delete