Tuesday 4 December 2012

10 Reasons I am an Awesome Autism Mom!
#Monday Listicles

This week’s topic “10 Reasons I am Great” was suggested by Bonny who blogs over at The Bonny Bard. I am sure many of you are thinking this would be a snap for me. Right?  Ummm…haaallooo?? 

Well like Stasha, I was in a panic. My very first Listicles topic was “My 10 Superpowers” which I pretty much nailed I mean…where I shared my not-so-hidden talents. That’s better. Having to come up with even more ways that I am great was a little too much for this old brain.

Since I have been *ahem* neglecting my blog a little lately, I have decided to kill two topics with one post and go with 10 Reasons I am an Awesome Autism Mom! *patting myself on the back*



1.      I still cut the crusts off Riley’s sandwiches and cut them into quarters. Yes I know he is 18. Need I remind you any visible signs of brown are unacceptable and will result in that quarter or likely the entire sandwich being tossed in the garbage.


3.      The first time Riley lied to me I was so excited and wanted to high five him! Did I mention he was around 12?  OK slight exaggeration but not too far off. R is brutally honest and the idea of intentionally lying in Riley World well...does not really exist. 

4.      I answer and ask the same questions over and over and over again. Every. Single. Day.

5.      I shop at multiple grocery stores because R only likes certain brands of food.

6.      I sit in the backseat so Riley can ride shotgun.

7.      “If it’s not too late you will call me?” Whenever I go out Riley likes me to call him on my way home and pick him up McD’s (medium fries in a small brown bag and small sprite with no ice please). The reception when I get home is SO worth the $4.35 every. single. time.

8.      I am constantly offering to buy Riley things because, until recently, he NEVER asked for anything…EVER. I would even buy the same DVDs over and over and over again as gifts because that was all R wanted/asked for. You’re welcome Disney.

9.      I am a short order cook and make R a separate dinner pretty much every night. Thankfully he only has about 3 items on his “menu”.

10.   I am only an awesome autism mom because I have practiced the same things over and over AND over again! Need I say more. Oish.  




  Could you say no to this face???



19 comments:

  1. Oh Diane, this might be my favourite post of yours ever! This made me cry and smile and laugh... the love you have for Riley just bounces off the screen and makes me happy too. And I can totally relate to almost all of these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwwww...thanks Bec! That means a lot coming from you. We've come a long way baby! Haha! :D

      Delete
  2. hahaaa We're right on target!!! I do the SAME things!! 8 out of 10 that is. Tommy doesnt mind crust.. and getting him to eat noodles would pretty much require restraints lmao! I have a hard time saying no too ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phew. See...soul sistahs! ;) Ri is much more of the dry-heaver. Oi. I have a feeling Ri & Tommy have our numbers. HA!

      Delete
  3. You are a great mom! I answer the same questions over and over again daily too, it takes patience for that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES.IT.DOES! :D Just wait until your boys get to the "WHY?" stage. AUGH!!!!

      Delete
  4. You are an awesome Autism mom. Hats off to you. Moms of kids with special needs are just amazing and inspiring to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stacey! YOU are amazing and inspiring to me! :D

      Delete
  5. This is an amazing list, and you are phenomenal! I think that #4 would be my biggest challenge in parenting a kid with autism. My oldest son has ADD, and he does a bit of that as well.

    You bring such a wonderful, unique, and needed perspective and view the world so differently because of your experiences. I can relate, being the mom of a micropreemie. The world looks different from our perspectives!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are absolutely right Marie. Having kids with "extra/unique needs" ;) puts a whole new spin on things. A sense of humour (even as warped as mine) is required.

      Delete
  6. You win the awesome contest! Loved the photo - he looks so happy and it's your doing, I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YEA!!! Thanks Stacie! ;P Did I mention I was holding up a box of cheerios when I took the picture. Haha!

      Delete
  7. You're my hero and role model, Di! I hope I survive until the girls are 18 without going bonkers! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wait...you think I'm still sane??? I thought you were so much brighter than that. *sigh* ;P

      Delete
  8. You are a rockstar mom!! i love his mcd's request and seeing his smile would make it totally worth it. I let my 11 year old ride shotgun when we are all in the car together b/c otherwise there would be bloodshed among the children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He gets to ride shotgun even when I'm the only other passenger. Haha! Thanks Robbie! D

      Delete
  9. You are an awesome mom, period!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty sure J2 would have something else to say about that. HA!

      Delete